Call for WSF Thematic Session Proposals
Main theme of the WSF2019: Science, Ethics and Responsibility
Subtheme: 20 years in science diplomacy
Date: 20-23 November 2019
1. The World Science Forum Series
The first UNESCO World Conference on Science was held in 1999 in Budapest. As a series of follow-up events of this initial gathering following the initiative of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences since 2003 the World Science Forum series has played a prominent role in bringing leaders of the world of science and policy together. The biennial WSF series aims to discuss about the roles, responsibilities and challenges of science and presents our issues of common interest to the scientific community and the general public.
In 2019 we will celebrate 20 years of this history together in Budapest with a conference co-organised by the partner organisations of World Science Forum:
- the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO)
- the International Science Council (ISC)
- the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- the InterAcademy Partnership (IAP)
- TWAS, the World Academy of Sciences (TWAS)
- the European Academies Science Advisory Council (EASAC)
- and the Hungarian Academy of Sciences as the initiator of the WSF series and the host of the 2019 Forum.
2. WSF2019: Science Ethics and Responsibility
Under the main theme “Science, Ethics and Responsibility” WSF revisits one of the topics that was already fundamental in the creation of the series and has only gained relevance since then. The transformative technological developments of the last twenty years, the growing demands for the accountability of research expenditures and the spread of opinions challenging scientific evidence have only reinforced the need for the responsible and ethical use of scientific knowledge.
The 2019 programme of WSF will provide an opportunity for the considerations of scientists, policy-makers, society, industry and science communicators to be challenged from an ethical standpoint in the plenary sessions, and also allow for more technical debates over issues of science in thematic sessions.
3. Call for Open Thematic Sessions
In 2019 as a new addition to the programme of WSF we would like to offer an opportunity for any scientific organisation to apply for the thematic sessions to be included into the main programme of WSF. Speakers and moderators of thematic session are invited to participate at the full programme of WSF free of charge and are offered free accommodation between 20-23 November.
Thematic Sessions format
- Each parallel session will last 90 minutes.
- Different formats are welcome. Applicants are encouraged to develop interactive session formats to engage the audience at the event.
- There are maximum four parallel sessions running at a time.
- The use of WSF social media (e.g. WSF2019 Twitter and Facebook page) may be considered to enhance audience interaction prior and during the session.
- Deadline for submission of session proposals is 10 April 2019.
- Session proposals should be submitted using this form.
- All submitted proposals are reviewed by the Steering Committee of World Science Forum.
- Results of the open call will be announced by 31 May.
Guidelines for Session Proposals:
Criteria in the selection process
- relevance to the objectives and main theme of WSF 2019
- overall quality and originality of the proposal
- inclusion of state-of-the-art science
- capacity to generate interesting and vibrant discussions
- interdisciplinary approach (If relevant, particular attention should be paid to attracting excellent social scientists as well as natural scientists.)
- international topicality
- diversity (Gender and geographical balance, including young scientists in the panel)
- multi-stakeholder approach (scientists, politicians, decision-makers and representatives of civil society and industry)
- capability to attract science media coverage
- Session organisers are responsible for the invitation of speakers and moderators of their session.
- The Hungarian Academy of Sciences offers accommodation for all plenary and thematic session speakers and moderators (max 6 persons/per session) as well as catering during the time of the event.
- Thematic session organisers support the event by financing the travel costs of thematic session speakers.
- The Hungarian Academy of Sciences offers Conference Room Facilities.
- No registration fees will be charged.
- The sessions will be streamed, recorded and published on the WSF website at https://worldscienceforum.org/.
Science-oriented organisations are welcome to arrange meetings during the Forum. These meetings can be open to the public or can be arranged for a selected World Science Forum audience only. It is the Steering Committee’s responsibility to qualify events as side event of World Science Forum. Side events may be held on 19 and 20 November 2019.
> > > Thematic sessions proposal form < < <
For more information, please contact:
Ms Katalin Borvölgyi
World Science Forum Secretariat
Secretariat of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences
International Relations Department
Phone: +36 1 411 6242