Programme / Thematic session III/c Localized Science, Technology and Innovation Roadmaps for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals in Africa‹ back to Programme lister
Thursday / 8 DEC
11:30 - 13:00
Africa’s great potential for growth and development risks to be undermined by long-standing development challenges in many sectors, including education, energy, agriculture, and healthcare. While Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) are recognized as catalyzers for sustainable development, harnessing their potential implies having sound and well-established STI systems. STI for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) roadmaps are found to be valuable instruments to mobilize national STI potentials to address specific sustainability challenges.
In 2022, the Joint Research Centre and the Directorate-General for International Partnerships (DG INTPA) of the European Commission launched a new project for Sub-Saharan Africa which aims at developing STI for SDGs roadmaps, as operational STI action plans and strategies to address localized sustainability challenges. The applied methodology identifies place-specific STI potentials and societal, environmental and economic challenges to be tackled through effective roadmaps for future investments.
Starting from preliminary findings described in the upcoming JRC report mapping STI systems in Sub-Saharan Africa, the session will aim at discussing the needs, challenges and way forward for the development and implementation of localized STI for SDGs roadmaps.
As expected result, the session will provide a deeper understanding of the STI systems in Sub-Saharan Africa, as well as on available approaches and recent developments for the design of roadmaps. The session is expected to raise awareness on the relevance of STI for SDGs roadmaps as a key tool to leverage place-based STI potential for more sustainable, inclusive and just societies.
The session will benefit from the participation of country representatives, as well as STI experts and scientists who will share their experiences and perspectives for the development of STI for SDGs roadmaps.
- Stephen Quest, Director-General, Joint Research Centre – European Commission
- Angela Sarcina, Economic and Policy Analyst, Joint Research Centre - European Commission
- Wei Liu, United Nations Inter-Agency Task Team’s coordinator, UNDESA
- Lukovi Seke, , African Union Development Agency-NEPAD
- Daan du Toit, Deputy Director-General: International Cooperation and Resources , Department of Science and Innovation
- Mucktarr Darboe, Deputy Permanent Secretary - Technical, Ministry of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology
- Louis Sibomana, Head of Department of Science, Technology Development and Outreach, National Council for Science and Technology of Rwanda
- Erika Kraemer-Mbula, Professor, University of Johannesburg
- Sabine Henzler, Director for Strategy, Work Programme and Resources, Joint Research Centre, European Commission